Brioche isn't for sissies.

I am super excited that I am going to have a new niece of nephew. They aren't finding out, which is a lot of fun!  That is, unless you want to knit something super cute for a tiny tot.  I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out what to do for this little one, not knowing whether it was going to be in need of pink or blue.  But the fact that they live in a land where football, reigns, and the colors red and white are king, helped my decision along.  I wasn't quite sure it was the right fit, but I remembered getting tired of seeing my little newborns in pastel colors, and figured it would be a good move.

I am always looking for something new and exciting to do when I make gifts, and brioche caught my eye.  I made a little swatch of single color, but I knew I wanted a blanket with two colors, so once I had the hang of the flat single color, I went for the two color brioche.  I have a bunch of notes that I learned, so if you're beginning two color brioche, I wrote down some tips. Wonderful hints that helped me figure out how the whole thing works.  I'd love to share them with you, but I can't find them anywhere.  I'm highly annoyed by this.  Maybe that's a blog for another day.

At any rate, I made them a fun two color brioche blanket in red and white, and a little stocking hat.

For both projects I used Paton's Canadian 100% Acrylic in white, and cardinal.
I don't have instructions for the blanket, it was just straight up 2 color brioche with large needles.

For the stockinghat, Cast on 56 stitches, with Size 6 dpn, join in around.
Work k2p2 rib for 1.5 inches
Work stockingette for 1.5 inches in main color.  I placed a marker to keep my space, and used the color chart above. When the color was completely changed, I cut the main color yarn, and began decrease rounds:
K5, K2tog around
Knit around
K4 K2 tog around
Knit around
K3 K2tog around
Knit around
K2 K2tog around
Knit around
K1 K2tog around
Knit around
K2tog around
Cut yarn with tail, thread through remainin stitches, knot and weave in ends.

After all of this, I still think brioche is not for sissies.  I'm currently working on a pair of leg warmers for my little ballerina in single color brioche in the round, and I would like to say it's going well, but it's not going nearly as fast or easy as I would hope.  Hopefully I'll be able to update you soon with progress on that, but don't hold your breath!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Hat Extravaganza, Part 3! (link to Peashooter hat)

Baby Bow Hat